Awesome work! Congratulations!
Marc

On Sep 11, 2017, at 8:47 AM, Camiel Vanderhoeven via cctech
<cctech@classiccmp.org> wrote:

For a change, rather than a request for help, here¹s a success story: I
managed to bring a Convex C220 (dual vector CPU mini supercomputer from
1988) back to life. Both CPUs are working, but I¹m running with a single
CPU because of the power it draws with two CPUs. Next challenges: the
Convex C1, and quad vector processor C240 (not before I¹ve upgraded the
power feed).

Running ConvexOS 11.5.1, it has FORTRAN 7.0.1 installed; I ran a little
benchmark, and with a single CPU the system clocks in at 49.1 MFLOPS on a
big multiply-add loop (advertised peak performance was 50 MFLOPS per CPU).

Getting the system to the state where it is now was quite a journey
(though nowhere near as bad as it might have been). If you¹re interested
in the details, I have a (somewhat long) report of my work on my website;
if you go to http://www.vaxbarn.com/index.php/other-bits/603-convex-c220,
there are some links at the bottom that have much more details, as well as
photos of the system and the boards.

Now I¹m looking for some FORTRAN code that would typically have run on
this kind of computer so I can show people what this kind of system was
used for.

Camiel