On 9/18/17, 3:02 PM, "Peter Allan" <petermal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Camiel,
>
> Nice to hear that you have the Convex C220 up and running.
>
> Regarding things to run on it, starting with LINPACK is probably a good idea.
> However, in term of what they were actually used for back in the 1980's, I
> know that they were popular with the radio astronomy community, starting with
> the Convex C1. The package called AIPS (Astronomical Image Processing System)
> was the most popular way of processing data from multi-antenna telescopes like
> the VLA in New Mexico.
>
> AIPS (written in Fortran) is now known as AIPS Classic, to distinguish it from
> AIPS++ (written in C++) which was developed in the 1990's. There is plenty of
> information about it on the internet. If you have any difficulty getting the
> code, let me know as I might be able to help.
>
> AIPS is very portable; before the era of the mini-supers, it ran on a lot of
> VAXen (yeah!!) amongst other things.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter Allan

I¹ll check that out. Code I have running on the C220 now includes:
* FORTRAN code to solve Navier-Stokes equations for airflow over a wing or
even a complete aircraft
* Some electronics design software I found on one of the disks I have,
including Spice, Anacad Eldo
* Neurosim neural network simulator
Camiel