On 1/15/20 3:04 PM, Swift Griggs wrote:

> Jon this whole situation with Solaris having it's own code base  which
> goes back to 1.x. I'm curious if that is why there are a lot of tools
> and utils (mostly ones starting with "sd") which aren't part of the
> open source version?

Yes - Sun used the 1.x base, and made many modifucations and added
several of their own home-grown tools.

> Ie.. they must have made those tools specifically for their version of
> CDE and thus they never saw the "light of day" since Solaris never
> open sourced their CDE.

Correct.

> Also, what was the deal back in the OpenSolaris days before Oracle
> killed it? Did that codebase have CDE? I also wonder about Illumos. Do
> they still have a CDE codebase, too? I'm guessing Sun just didn't
> release it with the rest of the code.

Due to the licensing restriction of CDE, sun never released the source
for that.  They were moving toward gnome at the time I think.

> Not that it really matters. I'm just asking for the sake of trivia and
> posterity. However, I would like to motivate myself enough to take on
> writing one or two replacements for some of the cooler tools from
> Sun's CDE. However, lately I've been just stuck doing MOTIF tutorials
> on my SGI IRIX systems under Indigo Magic / 4DWM. It might not be CDE,
> but it's a kissing cousin in my opinion.

Well, we could use a new dtmail, and dtappbuilder needs love, and... :)

> I also wanted to congratulate you and the team on the new release.

Thanks!

-jon

> -S

Jon Trulson

  "Entropy.  It isn't what it used to be."
                           -- Sheldon