On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Nina Jeliazkova
<jeliazkova.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 July 2011 14:42, Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I like Jules suggestions - use Java exceptions where possible/
>> reasonable, but have a hierarchy of CDKExceptions; my worry is that it
>> will be easy to have a proliferation of CDKException subclasses, such
>> that rather than throw an appropriate class, code will just throw the
>> most generic exception. if we do go for a hierarchy, I would suggest
>> to keep it as lean as possible
>
> One idea is to have first level of sub-classes restricted for one per
> package/module. The subsequent levels will depend on what is needed inside
> the module.

I'd argue that even that is too many (initially). The nature of a
module could change over time; rather, if exceptions are modeled on
the nature of the problem causing the exception (no atom type etc), we
can maintain some control over the number of exception classes

--
Rajarshi Guha
NIH Chemical Genomics Center