So sprach [EMAIL PROTECTED] am Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:27:24PM +0200:
> What a shame for Linux: You don't need it!

What a shame for you: You don't get it!

The mktemp binary is nothing more than a wrapper to the C function mktemp,
which conforms to BSD 4.3, at least according to mktemp(3).

> The main UNIX design goal is not to add useless gicks....

Define useless...  I find it quite useful to have a at least somewhat hard
to predict filename, instead of just /tmp/xxx.1, /tmp/xxx.2, /tmp/xxx.3...

> Well UNIX _allows_ you to be creative: use /tmp/xx.$$.someting

This inferior way is also present in bash.

> And it is nice to see how development done on Linux yields in nonportable
> results without reason.

And it's nice to see that no progress should be made just because some sh's
are still in the stoneage.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)