Looking at the blog, I notice he disabled the write cache before the tests: doing this on my m550 resulted in *improved* dsync results (300 IOPS -> 700 IOPS) still not great obviously, but ... interesting.

So do experiment with the settings to see if you can get the 840's working better for you.

While you can't do much about the endurance lifetime being a bit low, you could possibly improve performance using a journal *file* that is located on the 840's (you'll need to symlink it - disclaimer - have not tried this myself, but will experiment if you are interested). Slightly different open() options are used in this case and these cheaper consumer SSD seem to work better with them.

Regards

Mark