The effect of this is *highly* dependent to the SSD make/model. My m550 work vastly better if the journal is a file on a filesystem as opposed to a partition.

Obviously the Intel S3700/S3500 are a better choice - but the OP has already purchased Sammy 840's, so I'm trying to suggest options to try that don't require him to buy new SSDs!

Cheers

Mark