I get digests, so please forgive me if this has been covered already.

> Assuming production level, we would keep a pretty close 1:2 SSD:HDD ratio,

1:4-5 is common but depends on your needs and the devices in question, ie.
assuming LFF drives and that you aren’t using crummy journals.

> First of all, is this even a valid architecture decision?

Inktank described it to me back in 2014/2015 so I don’t think it’s ultra outré.
 It does sound like a lot of work to maintain, especially when components get
replaced or added.

> it should boost performance levels considerably compared to spinning disks,

Performance in which sense?  I would expect it to boost read performance but
not so much writes.

I haven’t used cache tiering so can’t comment on the relative merits.  Your
local workload may be a factor.

— aad