On 18/04/17 22:28, Anthony D'Atri wrote:
> I get digests, so please forgive me if this has been covered already.
>
>> Assuming production level, we would keep a pretty close 1:2 SSD:HDD ratio,
>
> 1:4-5 is common but depends on your needs and the devices in question, ie.
> assuming LFF drives and that you aren’t using crummy journals.
>
>> First of all, is this even a valid architecture decision?
>
> Inktank described it to me back in 2014/2015 so I don’t think it’s ultra
> outré.  It does sound like a lot of work to maintain, especially when
> components get replaced or added.
>
>> it should boost performance levels considerably compared to spinning disks,
>
> Performance in which sense?  I would expect it to boost read performance but
> not so much writes.
>
> I haven’t used cache tiering so can’t comment on the relative merits.  Your
> local workload may be a factor.
>
> — aad

As it happens I've got a ceph cluster with a 1:2 SSD to HDD ratio and I did
some fio testing a while ago with an SSD-primary pool to see how it performed,
investigating as an alternative to a cache layer. Generally the results were as
aad predicts - read performance for the pool was considerably better, almost as
good as a pure SSD pool. Write performance was better but not so significantly
improved, only going up to maybe 50% faster depending on the exact workload.

In the end I went with splitting the HDDs and SSDs into separate pools, and
just using the SSD pool for VMs/datablocks which needed to be snappier. For
most of my users it didn't matter that the backing pool was kind of slow, and
only a few were wanting to do I/O intensive workloads where the speed was
required, so putting so much of the data on the SSDs would have been something
of a waste.

--
Richard Hesketh