On 20 July 2017 at 12:49, Matthew Vernon <m...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/07/17 05:08, Marcus Furlong wrote:
>>
>> On 22 March 2017 at 05:51, Dan van der Ster <d...@vanderster.com
>> <mailto:d...@vanderster.com>> wrote:
>

>> Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I figured out what happened
>> and never documented it, so I thought an update might be useful.
>

> [snip detailed debugging]
>
> Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. Have you reported it to the sgdisk
> authors, please? It'd be good to get it fixed :)

I have reported it, and Rod (CC:d) has pointed out that this is
probably an XFS filesystem driver bug. Given that this _only_ occurs with
XFS, that is probably correct. I have not reported upstream though.

As a workaround in sgdisk, I mentioned that these two sgdisk options
together (which ceph-deploy uses):

 --largest-new=1 --set-alignment=2048

could create a partition that uses the largest available block of
space, within the constraints of aligning the start _and_ end
boundaries of that partition. If it did that, it would workaround the
filesystem driver bug. That was what I expected would happen, but it
looks like `--set-alignment` only aligns the beginning of the
partition.

Regards,
Marcus.

--