in most cases write back cache does help a lot for hdd write latency, either raid-0 or some Areca cards support write back in jbod mode. Our observation they could help by a 3-5x factor in Bluestore, whereas db/wal on flash will be about 2x, it does depend on hardware but in general we see benefit in combining both if hdds are used. With Filestore the effect of journal on flash was better than 2x in terms of latency/iops.

/Maged