On 4/23/07, Gruss Gott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I'm saying that:
>
> (1.) If Band of Brothers contains a full page of stuff from someone
> else's book, as a reader I really don't give a crap, and neither does
> anyone else.  They care about the story in general.  Again, Band of
> Brothers, Wild Blue, Pegasus Bridge are not academic texts and so any
> point that has the word "academic" or "scholar" in it is moot.


To quote Colonel Potter: "Horse hockey."

We DO care. I care. Wasn't there just a huge flap over some Oprah book
author who made up a lot of the inspirational stuff that was in his book?
Readers were damn pissed, and felt cheated. Unless otherwise stated, what we
read is expected to be:

1) From the author and
2) Factually correct

I don't think that is too much to ask...and if an author knowingly violates
those 2 simple request....yeah, as a reader, I'm pissed.

(2.) If the uncited author has an issue with the use he should contact
> the publisher, mention the error, and ask for a cite like every other
> reasonable author.  This ain't a big deal and happens every hour.
> Think of how often *non-academic* text copied without a cite is
> published.


 I think it's a big deal, especially if this Ambrose character (who I've
never even heard of, by the way) is a famous author.

(3.) Did Ambrose ever deny using the paragraph?  How did he explain
> the oversight?


Dunno, did he?

(4.) Was, for example, Band of Brothers Ambrose's concept?  Is 99% of
> the book his?  If so then I fail to see a reason why I should care
> that he used my paragraph.  Boo Hoo.  Would it make you feel better if
> we put a little asterisk by the paragraph and said in the back, "gruss
> wrote this"?  What difference does that really make?  None.


No, it would make me feel better if authors didn't copy other people's work
and pass it off as their own. I don't see why I have to accept anything
short of that...though apparently you do.

-- 
I knew the moment had arrived, for killing the past and coming back to life.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
ColdFusion MX7 and Flex 2 
Build sales & marketing dashboard RIA’s for your business. Upgrade now
http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/flex2?sdid=RVJT

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Community/message.cfm/messageid:233253
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5

Reply via email to