I generally support sending more troops to Afghanistan but I'm not
entirely sure it will help. My primary hope is that it will avoid some
of the most egregious public relations disasters like bombing
weddings. The situation will require a lot more than troops though to
succeed. The Pakistan/Afghanistan border is porous...but only for one
side. Our troops don't get a free pass on the other side. The Taliban
has been making more inroads amongst the populace and corruption in
the government has worsened things.

But there are also some good news. Opium production is down quite a
bit and efforts to market alternative crops (mostly pomegranates) are
making headway. Pomegranates from Afghanistan are now starting to be
sold across Europe. No word on a US distributor yet but I'm hopeful
that will happen. I think that if a successful export market for
pomegranates emerges we'll see a precipitous decline in opium
production and a lessening of the Taliban's influence.

If we are able to stabilize the security situation in the country a
bit and develop a consistent import/export system then I think things
will go well. But more troops only help with part of that and we need
to focus on the rest of it as much as the troop levels if not more.

Judah

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Bruce Sorge <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yeah, OK. I am sure that this has not happened. Here is an idea, how about
> Pakistan stops being the Taliban's brothers in arms and lets us go into
> their country undeterred and look there? I mean, it is no secret that the
> border towns in Pakistan are harboring the Taliban.
> Oh yeah, and what about the extra 20K troops that are being sent to
> Afghanistan? That's not progress? I believe it is and I believe that this
> will help. Afghanistan is a large country and it is going to take more than
> what we currently have over there right now to find him, if he is even still
> alive.
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;207172674;29440083;f

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:284957
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.5

Reply via email to