Also I find this set of stats very interesting: %GDP spending on education:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_spe_per_pri_sch_stu-spending-per-primary-school-student
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_edu_spe-education-spending-of-gdp
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_spe_per_sec_sch_stu_pergdp-per-secondary-school-student-gdp
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_spe_per_sec_sch_stu-spending-per-secondary-school-student

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Larry C. Lyons <[email protected]> wrote:
> You also have to look at the sampling. For many of these international
> tests, only select groups (i.e., for many countries those bound for
> university or other higher ed programs) take these tests. If you did a
> similar comparison with US students in the same situation e.g., IB or
> AP programs, you'll find that US students do, on the average, at least
> as well as those other countries.
>
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Scott Stroz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I did not say that we spend the most. I said that if 'I remember
>> correctly' (see that little disclaimer there?) there were a lot of
>> countries that send less but do a better job educating.
>>
>> Just showing what countries spend is only half the data.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Larry C. Lyons <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to see the stats for that.
>>>
>>> According to UNESCO the US is #36 on per capita spending on primary
>>> school students (i.e., K-6). Most of the EU, Britain, Canada,
>>> Australia, New Zealand, etc., spend more or the same as the US per
>>> student.
>>>
>>> So lets try another myth.
>>>
>>> http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/edu_pub_spe_per_stu_pri_lev-spending-per-student-primary-level
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Scott Stroz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Judah McAuley <[email protected]> 
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Ah yes, the spoiled brat theory. The best time to kick someone is when
>>>>> they are down. They'll never learn until their constituents are
>>>>> starving in the street. Well, actually, they already are and the
>>>>> politicians aren't learning. So lets try kicking them harder, trash
>>>>> the education system further, increase childhood hunger rates and see
>>>>> what happens. I know that you don't actually believe that trashing the
>>>>> education system is a good idea, that you don't want childhood hunger
>>>>> rates to increase, etc. You want fiscal discipline and accountability
>>>>> from politicians, which is admirable. I want that too. But right now
>>>>> I'm a lot more concerned about having teachers in our schools, cops on
>>>>> the streets and children being fed.
>>>>
>>>> I will need to look it up, but I recall reading an article (or maybe
>>>> saw a news show) where it showed that other countries (and if I
>>>> remember correctly, a LOT of other countries) spend less per student
>>>> than than the US, yet they were kicking our ass when it comes to
>>>> actually educating students.
>>>>
>>>> There is a problem with our education system,but I am not sure that
>>>> blindly throwing gobs of money at it is the best solution.
>>>>
>>>> That being said, I think I would rather we took the money form stealth
>>>> bombers rather than food stamps - for anything, not just education.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Scott Stroz
>>>> ---------------
>>>> You can make things happen, you can watch things happen or you can
>>>> wonder what the f*&k happened. - Cpt. Phil Harris
>>>>
>>>> http://xkcd.com/386/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Order the Adobe Coldfusion Anthology now!
http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Coldfusion-Anthology-Michael-Dinowitz/dp/1430272155/?tag=houseoffusion
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:324716
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/unsubscribe.cfm

Reply via email to