Dear Karl

> I seem to recall that the normal to a geoid surface does not in
> general point in the same direction as the normal to the ellipsoid
> surface at the same place.  If that is true, would that be added
> justification for giving different standard names to heights
> relative to those surfaces?

Jim made a related useful comment the other day:

> The heights above
> the datum can be orthometric (normal to the datum surface at the point) or
> geodetic (normal to the ellipsoid).  If your vertical datum is an ellipsoid,
> then the two types of heights are the same.  If you are using a
> non-ellipsoidal vertical datum, you are probably going to report orthometric
> heights ...
> orthometric (normal to the geoid), geodetic (normal to the ellipsoid), and
> geocentric (relative to the ellipsoid, but not normal to it).

"Geometric" is also used but not in Jim's list.

I wasn't aware of this kind of distinction and I suppose that relevant
standard_names should say orthometric_height, geodetic_height, etc. instead
of height, for use in cases where the distinction is important. Presumably
so far no-one has required this additional precision.

Best wishes

Jonathan