Dear Helen

Thanks for your comments.

> Whilst it is true that the specifics of the geoid used (model, degree and
> order of expansion etc) are important, simply being able to correctly
> identify 'sea surface height above reference ellipsoid'  vs 'sea surface
> height above geoid' gives us fundamentally different parameters (first is
> approx = geoid height, second is dynamic topography)
> Hence even without the details of the geoid used, the very definition is
> extremely important

That's good to know because it is consistent with the current approach in the
CF standard name table.

> There is a significant difference in that altitude is generally applied to
> the height of the satellite above the reference ellipsoid - not the geoid -
> so I would not like to see that alias be included.

Right. That is useful to know. It is a good argument for replacing altitude
with height_above_geoid (retaining altitude as an alias for the sake of
existing data) if it could be confused with height_above_reference_ellipsoid
(which is an existing standard name).

Best wishes

Jonathan