At 12:42 PM 5/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Well with database more RAM is always better. Though on the list it has been
>posted many times that if you're going to get a multiprocessor do 2
>computers with 2 processors instead of one 4 processor. Not only do you get
>clustering, but the performance increase of a 4 processor isn't much only
>25% over a 2 processor where a 2 processor is 50% over a one processor.
>
>Robert Everland III
>Web Developer
>Dixon Ticonderoga

I'm suspicious of those processesor increase numbers.  I know that the
performance increase isn't linear, but it should be a heck of a lot better
than what's quoted above.  I would also point out that cost may be a
factor. Just comparing hardware prices, a 4 processor box and 2 two
processor boxes may end up being comparable in price, but if you factor in
hosting space costs, maintenance/management costs, and software licensing
fees, then a 4 processor box starts to look attractive.  Costs really start
to mount when you start looking at the licensing for Spectra ($15,000 per
box up to 8 processors).

Judah