>> On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 01:54 , Hal Helms wrote:
>> I can't agree that this is the same as in Java. In Java, I can define an
>> instance variable as private and then set it to an identically named
>> argument passed into a method.

> Only if you explicitly qualify the instance variable with 'this.' so it
> doesn't clash with the argument name (remember that in Java, arguments are
> the unnamed scope - so you have exactly the same type of namespace clash!)

I think what Hal is getting at is that in Java you can do this:

private int x;
void foo(int x) {
        this.x = x;
}

in C++ you can do this:

void foo(int x) {
        this->x = x;
}

but there is no way to do that with CFC's.

I think the this scope was a poor name choice, I would expect the this
keyword to point to, or reference my object as it does in C++ or Java. I'm
not saying that CFC's should be exactly like Java or C++ classes, but it
would have led to less confusion if "this" was named "public" or something
else.

Pete Freitag
CTO, CFDEV.COM
ColdFusion Developer Resources