ASP has a lock method which I assume should be used the same as CF's
locks...

Application.Lock()



-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Tyrone [mailto:atyrone@;optonline.net] 
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2002 16:25
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Understanding Locking In CFMX


There was another post about this I could've responded to, but I deleted
it, hence this new post.

This article:

http://www.macromedia.com/v1/Handlers/index.cfm?ID=23021&Method=Full

Explains why not locking shared scopes won't crash the server, but could
cause a "race condition" and corrupt data.  What I don't get is why
OTHER languages don't need locks around shared scopes, if CFMX is indeed
thread-safe like they are (ASP to name one).  Basically this article
says "The good news is your server won't crash -- the bad news is, your
data will be totally useless."  To me, that says "You still have to lock
everything you always had to, unless you want corrupt data."  I'm sorry,
but it seems like a lot of double-talk to me.

In the article they give an example of updating a variable called
session.cartTotal.  What if I have two pages -- one that just reads this
variable, and the one they show that reads and performs an update of the
variable simultaneously.  Isn't it possible that these two disparate
pages would cause a race condition, proving that you still have to lock?

If I am wrong about this, can anyone explain in English, so my tiny
little brain can comprehend why?

Thanks!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
This list and all House of Fusion resources hosted by CFHosting.com. The place for 
dependable ColdFusion Hosting.

Reply via email to