Thank you Rob.  I took a look at those pages, and after wading through
the gobbledegook, I think they said someone else had the same problem,
but didn't point to a solution.  But they too thought it was part of
SQLServer somehow.

So does anyone know how I can find out why SQLServer2000 is waking up at
all hours and trying to connect to my isp? Or indeed if it's not
SQLServer but something else? 

The event viewer shows only SQLServer activity at those hours and now
that I have disabled SQLServer, the computer is no longer trying to
connect to the internet.  So I'm fairly sure it's SQLServer that's the
culprit.


What could be causing this behaviour? I dont want my system just
connecting up to the net whenever it feels like it.   Apart from
anything else, I have to pay for the hours I use, and the damn thing
connects but doesn't disconnect when it's finished doing whatever it is
it does.




Cheers
Mike Kear
AFP Webworks
Windsor, NSW, Australia.
-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Rohan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] 
Sent: Friday, 27 December 2002 12:57 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Is this bad news?

here is some stuff

http://www.sqlmag.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=7267
http://archive.dbforums.com/archives/t182346.html

Doesn't seem like a it's a hack.

Cheers,
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 5:48 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Is this bad news?


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you CF'ers!   And thank you
for all the help you've given me during 2002.  I'm astonished at how
many of you are working at this time.  Here in Australia, hardly
anyone's working (although there are some who say it's pretty hard to
tell the difference).


To today's problem ....


I've been trying to identify what's causing my new WinXP Pro to keep
dialing out to my isp, and I have seen in the event viewer that there's
a lot of activity in my SQL2000.


I'm particularly interested in a number of items labeled

8128 :
Using 'xpsqlbot.dll' version '2000.80.194' to execute extended stored
procedure 'xp_qv'.


These have run at a time when I have been in bed asleep and certainly
not doing anything on my system.  I haven't set up any stored procedures
myself yet - this is a brand new SQL2000 installation and hasn't got any
live data on it yet.


I'm thinking this is a hack attempt (probably successful).  Is there any
legitimate reason why SQL2000 should be active when nothing else is on
my system?  Since this is (or at least WAS) a default installation, is
there anything called xp_qv that has a legitimate use?



Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
Get the mailserver that powers this list at http://www.coolfusion.com

Reply via email to