>Overall, bandwidth use is not excessive (at least for my standards), but
>the speed is not good either. Part of that appears to be due to the high
>number of requests, part of that is that some requests take long on the
>server, and part of that is probably that a Duron 800 is apparently not
>fast enough anymore.

Not sure if you checked out the individual files but the homepage is broken
up into multiple swf and xml documents (I show 22 swf and 9 xml). To be
complete, there are also 1 html, 2 css, 3 js, and 11 gifs for a total of 48
files and 251KB.

I was speculating with a colleague that the poor performance that some
people were seeing had to do with the number of files being downloaded as
well as the fact that the Flash player needs to load and parse the 9 xml
files (although the player's xml handling is greatly improved in the latest
versions). Speed of the client machine probably has a direct impact on the
player's ability to do this efficiently and quickly.

I'll be curious to see if this structure changes in the future. I'm also
anxious to read Sean Corfield's articles on the architectural decisions
behind the site.

I'm hoping that MM publishes something along the lines of "here's what we
decided to do first" and then down the line "here's what we found didn't
work and here's what we did to improve things". RIAs are pretty much
uncharted territory and I'm very interested in hearing their experiences in
building and tuning the site.

chris