I asked a very similar question a few weeks ago.  One solution was posted by
Jochem van Dieten:

Use a nested set model, or use a 2 table model where one table holds 
complete trees in an XMLData field (which you only need to edit when a 
new element is inserted) and one holds individual messages but with an 
FK to the table that holds the complete trees in XML.
I usually prefer the first solution, but in some cases the latter 
solution allows you to offload the whole thing to the client and let the 
client figure it out using XSLT. Something like: 
http://spike.oli.tudelft.nl/jochemd/test/tree/test.xml


If you want more info, check out the archives.  The thread was:

Re: recursion in cold fusion ( was RE: Creating a list with infinite
groupings and indents )


-----Original Message-----
From: Blum, Jason (SAA) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 11:13 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: SQL syntax for Supertypes-Subtypes AKA Circular Reference AKA
Entity Tree


Hello,

Here's a puzzle for all you 'Joe Celko' types:

Am trying to figure out how to do on SQL Server something I can do in
Oracle.  I think this problem is variously known as Subtypes-Supertypes,
Circular Reference, Entity Tree, etc...

Given this data:

Columns: iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
1 1 Mary 
2 2 1 Fritz 
3 3 1 John 
4 4 2 Abu 
5 5 2 Ludwig 
6 6 3 Abigail 
7 7 3 Josef 
8 8 6 Mark 
9 9 6 Ben 
10 10 6 Habib 
11 11 9 Paul 
12 12 11 Mahatma

I want to graphically represent the tree in this data - i.e. Mary is the
boss; Fritz and John report to Mary; Abu and Ludwig report to Fritz;
etc...

The important thing is that the SubEntityOf column is kind of a foreign
key to the primary key EntityID, such that the tree can be infinitely
deep.

I used to be able to do this in Oracle using:

<CFQUERY NAME="GetEntities" DATASOURCE="MyDatasource">
        SELECT iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
        FROM Mytable
        WHERE NOT iEntityID
        START WITH iEntityID=1
        CONNECT BY PRIOR iEntityID=iSubEntityOf
</CFQUERY>

But I can't use these functions in SQL Server...

Thanks!

-Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=t:4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=s:4
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Your ad could be here. Monies from ads go to support these lists and provide more 
resources for the community. 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm

Reply via email to