Blum, Jason (SAA) wrote:
> 
> Columns: iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
> 1 1 Mary 
> 2 2 1 Fritz 
> 3 3 1 John 
> 4 4 2 Abu 
> 5 5 2 Ludwig 
> 6 6 3 Abigail 
> 7 7 3 Josef 
> 8 8 6 Mark 
> 9 9 6 Ben 
> 10 10 6 Habib 
> 11 11 9 Paul 
> 12 12 11 Mahatma
> 
> I want to graphically represent the tree in this data - i.e. Mary is the
> boss; Fritz and John report to Mary; Abu and Ludwig report to Fritz;
> etc...

Google for "Adjacency List Model", there are plenty of stored 
procedures available to output this in a nested model.


> I used to be able to do this in Oracle using:
> 
> <CFQUERY NAME="GetEntities" DATASOURCE="MyDatasource">
>       SELECT iEntityID, iSubEntityOf, sName
>       FROM Mytable
>       WHERE NOT iEntityID
>       START WITH iEntityID=1
>       CONNECT BY PRIOR iEntityID=iSubEntityOf
> </CFQUERY>
> 
> But I can't use these functions in SQL Server...

File an enhancement request and ask for "WITH ... RECURSIVE" 
support :) (That is how it is named in the SQL standard. DB2 
already supports the WITH part, and I think I have seen RedHat 
patches for PostgreSQL that also use the standard syntax.)

Jochem



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=t:4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=s:4
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Signup for the Fusion Authority news alert and keep up with the latest news in 
ColdFusion and related topics. 
http://www.fusionauthority.com/signup.cfm

Reply via email to