Hi Jochem,

Perhaps you are right - My background in computer
science is pretty limited.  I guess merely as a more
philosophical principle, it seems incredible to me
that an eventual circularity in reference between all
members of any given set wouldn't figure prominently
in the articulation of a language for accessing that
set.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with Oracle until SQL
Server matures a little more...

-Richard 


--- Jochem van Dieten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard Heiser wrote:
> > Yeah - I've been looking around and I think you're
> > right.
> > 
> > This is really quite astonishing - seems like a
> pretty
> > fundamental concept...


> 
> Not astonishing at all. SQL is a data access
> language, it was not 
> intended to be computationally complete. I think
> this recursion 
> feature was only added to the standard because
> people set up 
> adjacency lists models quite often while they would
> be better 
> served with nested tree models and then they need
> something to 
> clean up the mess. Not because recursion fits in a
> relational 
> model very well.
> 
> But as I said, file a feature request for WITH
> RECURSIVE and use 
> one of the available stored procedures for now.
> 
> Jochem
> 
> 
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=t:4
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm?link=s:4
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Get the mailserver that powers this list at 
http://www.coolfusion.com

Reply via email to