Well, I altered the stored procedure as follows:

PROCEDURE test_dlc_sp_getStudentInfo (
     studentID IN number

   )

   as

   studentInfo types.cursorType;

   sFirst varchar2(50);
   sLast varchar2(50);
   sOrient char(1);

   begin

     open studentInfo for
  select
sFirst,
sLast,
sOrient
  from
tblStudentInfo
  where
sid = studentID;

CLOSE studentInfo;

   END test_dlc_sp_getStudentInfo;

Essentially, I removed the studentInfo ref cursor from the parameter list.

Now, I run the Cold Fusion page, and the "Unsupported Data Conversion"
error message is gone.  Woo hoo!

However, if I call the Stored Procedure from Cold Fusion like this:
<cfstoredproc datasource="DLCampus"
procedure="dlc.test_dlc_sp_getStudentInfo">
<cfprocparam type="in" value="1881" cfsqltype="cf_sql_decimal">
<cfprocresult name="getName">
</cfstoredproc>

I would hope that I could get at the value of sOrient like this:

<cfoutput>#getName.sOrient#</cfoutput>

Unfortunately, now I get a new error:
  Element SORIENT is undefined in GETNAME

I don't know if I'm making progress or not.

--
Richard S. Crawford
Programmer III,