And if Microsoft buys MM for Flask etal, guess what -- Cold Fusion is
dead -- just like they knifed FoxPro in the back...

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwayne Cole [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:16 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Flex is out

I predict that Macromedia is going to sell off ColdFusion within the
next 2 years.  Their product portfolio is too diversified and their
customer segments have very little in common - Flash, ColdFusion,
Director, Fireworks, Breeze, and now Flex - very different developer
communities.

Macromedia is all over the place and their strongest commitment is
still to their original flagship product lines.  ColdFusion was only
valuable to MM because it provided the "dynamic" support that Flash
was missing and it was much better than ultra-dev.   Now that .NET and
PHP is gaining strength, Macromedia is having a difficult time staying
loyal.

Don't get me wrong, with out a doubt, Macromedia has done a very good
job with ColdFusion MX (I still think they made a serious mistake by
abandoning ColdFusion Studio) but I do not believe that they are
willing and better yet capable of providing the necessary support to
ensure that "ColdFusion Development" stay ahead of the pack (.NET,
PHP, ASP).  From an operational perspective, I don't think it's
sustainable effort.

I respect Macromedia's apparent strategy but I believe that selling
off ColdFusion to a very close and "up and coming" partner will do
both Macromedia and ColdFusion a great deal of good.  If they don't
sell off ColdFusion they should and probably will sell off something
else because they are struggling trying to hold it all (ColdFusion,
Breeze, Authorware, SoundEdit, Director, Contribute, Flex, Dreamweaver
etc.) together.   If they have smart people on their board of
directors, they are probably having this discussion as we speak, if
not we should all be concerned.

We should be greatful to MM for it's investment and support of the
Community, but don't do to ColdFusion what Eisner did to Disney and
what TimeWarner did to AOL.

Dwayne Cole, MS in MIS, MBA
Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer
850-591-0212

"It can truly be said that nothing happens until there is vision. But
it is equally true that a vision with no underlying sense of purpose,
no calling, is just a good idea - all "sound and fury, signifying
nothing."  The Fifth Discipline - Peter Senge