On our dual-proc systems (using a separate DB server) we did some fairly
informal load testing and decided that the default of 10 was reasonable.
Performance started getting worse about 15 or so, though the processors were
still spinning full bore.  We opted to leave it high, as the app running on
there does a fair amount of non-local "stuff" (DB access, web service calls,
etc), where there is significant potential for requests to be waiting on
external resources, not processor time.

Not sure if that's of any value other than to say "higher isn't necessarily
bad", but who knows.

Cheers,
barneyb