On Jul 2, 2004, at 9:13 AM, Dave Watts wrote:

>  There's no built-in function that does exactly what you want, but I'm
> pretty
>  sure you can use the SUBSTRING function to get where you want to go.
> You
>  might even write your own SQL Server user-defined function that uses
> it.

Yes!

Haven't done it in a while & don't have my SQL book handy, but you have
enough scalar functions in SQL that you can do it in your select
statement.

maybe substring and concat

  SELECT
    substring(Article.Title, 1, 1) AS FirstLetter .....

HTH

Dick

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
- John Benfield -