Kwang Suh wrote:
> Let's say I have a website I want to cluster on 10 servers.  With CF, that's
> 10 production licenses at whatever cost you can find CF at.  With .NET, it's
> zero cost, so there can be some additional cost savings.

I'd like to see the total cost break-down for a site that was so large
it required 10 clustered servers.

I doubt the bottom line would move perceptibly if you switched from CF
to a free option.

> Also, no matter what way you cut it, CF Enterprise is quite expensive.

If you're a child at school, a new mountain bike costing $200 is
expensive. If you're a student at college, a new car costing $5000 is
expensive. If you're a medium sized shipping company, a new truck
costing $100,000 is expensive. If you're a multinational shipping
company, a new jet costing $10,000,000 is expensive.

The numbers may not be spot on, but you get the general idea. Expensive
is not an absolute term. It depends on the nature of what you're doing.
A multinational shipping company is the only one I'd expect to require
10 clustered CF servers to run their app, and that app would probably be
saving them an amount of money that is enormous when compared to the
$60,000 one time cost of the CF licenses.

> Also, only development licenses are free.  QA, staging, and test licenses are
> not with CF, unfortunately.

Again, whether this is actually expensive to your company depends on the
size of your company and what you want to use the app for.