It's not exactly true that "all sorts of code other than CF" have these
sorts of problems in shared hosting environments. ASP.NET, for example,
isolates every application from all the others just to avoid these problems.
If you're running BlueDragon.NET, then your CFML inherits this application
isolation so that multiple users can use the same CFAPPLICATION name without
conflict. Also, with BlueDragon.NET, you don't have to turn off CFOBJECT to
avoid security issues; again, this is because the underlying ASP.NET runtime
insures that all applications are isolated from each other.

It just so happens that I'm working on my CFUNITED presentation on exactly
this topic right now:

    http://www.cfunited.com/topics.cfm#168

Vince Bonfanti
http://blog.newatlanta.com