I am developing a system that could possibly have a large amount of users on
the system at one time. I have been told that the database interactions are
really what determines how many people you can have on the site at one time
without the load getting too much.

If this is the case do you think it is good practise to maybe store much of the
data in session variables, then if certain parts of the data is changed the
database i updated and so are the session variables (structures). Then if a
page is loaded it checks to see if the data is stored in the session variables,
if not then it has to go into the database to get the data.

I am thinking that this would be a good way to reduce the load on the database,
but then i am thinking that the memory on the session variables could get
overloaded.

Is there a way that peopl generally get around this problem.

thanks for any help