>Since most of you disagree with me (and that's totally fine), at what point
>do YOU think it's a bad idea?

I think it's a bad idea when the prize is commercial work (in other words,
companies asking for commercial design bids on spec is not great business for
anyone). If people are bidding on a commercial project, it is reasonable that
they get compensation for the bid itself.

If people are being asked to bid on something where there is no commercial
work, no compensation - other than perhaps some name recognition - then it's
fine. The winner won't get paid, no one will get paid.

>Just a few days ago, someone was asking for a
>really elaborate piece of coding for a site and people thought that was
>ridiculous that someone would ask that.

Well, a lot of ridiculous requests come through here :)

If the "really elaborate piece of coding" was for a paid job then the
contributor should get paid. If it was for a free project, it's a reasonable
request. "Hey, I'm doing this work for free, for a community project (or
whatever) - anyone fancy helping me out for free by contributing?"

>In what way is this different? ... They don't get any recognition or
>compensation for their time.

The winner gets no compensation (how many times do I have to say that?).

I believe that every submission will get listed on a publicly visible page with
attribution (as has happened in all of the logo contests I mentioned in my
earlier post) and then a group of people will vote on those submissions and the
winning submission will be used to create the look'n'feel of the new site. With
attribution on the site itself.

Since the contest submissions will probably be posted on the Fusebox wiki, I
expect the page can stay up pretty much indefinitely offering "recognition" to
all entrants.

Sean