That's not true about the 6.1 compatibility.

The new version has basically been benchmarked against CF 7.02, which
was the current version when the bulk of Railo 2 was developed.  Some
features have been extended or improved beyond the CF 7 spec.

This final release also adds some features added in CF 8...

http://dev.railo.ch/en/index.cfm?treeID=106

NB: I don't work for Railo, just interested in a fair argument! :-)