Generally speaking, many (most?) hosts offer shared Certificates for
free.

You can get a free cert from http://cert.startcom.org/ I have done this
before and it works fine for non e-commerce related stuff. I don't know
all the details on what is what with these certificates as I spent one
afternoon on it 2 years ago so I could lock down an intranet.

You can always generate a "bogus" certificate for free (Like the default
"Snake Oil" cert that is created by Apache).

You will get the same level of encryption as a digitally signed cert
(i.e: one that costs money) but the browser will complain about it not
being signed or something of that nature.... I forgot the details as it
was a couple of years ago.

Jerry Guido
Programmer
MGT of America, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information contained in this electronic communication is intended
only for the use of the addressee, and may be a confidential
communication.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error; any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly
prohibited.