On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Dave Watts wrote:
> Your main concern is not the consumption of resources as a result of an
> automated attack. That's just like any other denial of service attack,
> basically. If you can filter it out successfully, that's good for you, but
> you should be far more concerned with the results of a successful SQL
> injection attack.

Hey Dave!

Not to argue the difference between if(len())  and if(len() eq 0)... [-;)

I think DoS attacks are something to be aware of.  I shudder to think
of a million error emails, and the load that puts on multiple servers,
bandwidth, etc..

DoS attacks are one of those deals, that can cascade.  Like the Great
Black-out, of whatever year that was.  70-something?  Or like the bank
crisis of the late 90s... Eh.

Not to lessen the injection attacks, which are more likely to cause
real damage, and are more likely to expose a security hole than DoS
(but DoS can end up exposing quite a bit too, so) yeah, just wanted to
say, the layered thing seems the way to do it.

Low level, quick stuff, and high level, (most likely) slower stuff.

For a web-app developer though (no admin responsibilities), maybe it
goes like this:

1)  Sanitizing *all* user input.  GiGo.
2)  Avoid a self-imposed DoS, by things like error emails with no
throttle, emailed logs/huge logs on disk/in memory, or whatever.

Just wanted to sorta put emphasis on the fact that a DoS is still
something that's pretty bad, and *can* end up being as bad, or worse,
than injection attacks.

Just adding some emphasis, is all.  You can DoS yourself with some of
the solutions I've seen to the injection attacks.

Not that we really have to worry, right?  I'm sure we're all doing
load-testing, and part of that is testing a massive amount of errors,
right (intentional or no;)?  Right?

Hahahahaha.

*sigh* someday.  :-)

Man, how did I get here from trying to express the idea that one
attack can cascade into another kind of attack, or something like
that?  Eh. *shrug*  :-)

May your buffers never overflow,

--
Catch, then, O catch the transient hour; Improve each moment as it flies!
St. Jerome