I'm planning on using one of the MVC frameworks (probably MG, but I'll
look at Mach ii and OO Fusebox again as well) for a seperate project
that can be built from the ground up. This project has enough quirks
(like an existing url rewriter scheme) that I'd prefer not to try and
shoehorn in a whole framework.

I agree though that having a framework that you make yourself use will
certainly aid in getting it "down".

As for the getters/setters, I just read a posting and comments
discussion on Brian Kotek's blog that helps clarify the getter/setter
argument and I think I'll go ahead and do the extra work for
getters/setters.

Thanks,
Judah