I looked at all kinds of billing systems, and ended up writing my own.
  I found there was always something missing that i needed - the
ability to price a line independently of all the others,  or the
ability to use a currency other than AUD for example,  or be able to
send a copy of an invoice where the client alleges he never got it.
At least one feature i needed was missing from all the systems i
looked at.

So I wrote my own.  It's not all that difficult.   You need a means of
putting line items into an account ready to be billed - software sold,
hours worked,  domain names registered,   etc etc.     Then you need a
separate way to query that account and assemble those line items into
an invoice,  do the arithmetic calculations,  prepare a PDF of your
invoice and email it to the client.   Then you need to be able to send
copies to people who dont pay you because they  allege they never
received the invoice,    Next, you need a way to keep track of who's
paid you and who hasnt.    And lastly you need to be able to produce
reports for tax and other purposes.

All involve adding records to a table,  and/or querying the table and
displaying them in one way or another.     There is no fancy
processing required or ajax or flex or any of that. (although there
are things you can do to make it all slicker and sexier using tools
like ajax and flex) but its fairly straightforward from a coldfusion
point of view.

I have a clients table,  a price list table, a recurring charges table
(for my hosting accounts and domain name registry - to handle the
repeating monthly/quarterly/biannual/annual  charges)   and an
invoices table.   Thats it.

It took me a day to write and test my invoicing app, and a total of
about half a day since then for tweaks and mods i've made

At first, i tried to be cute and tie the hours to be billed in my
invoicing  to a little time counter app i have, but that never worked
because i dont always bill exactly the  hours i work on a project.
For example some projects i record the hours but bill a fixed price.
Or if it's maintenance work, some of the work is billable, some isnt.
 It all got too complicated.   So instead i have the time-tracking app
(called Trax-Time but it would suit an AIR app perfectly) running
separately,  and i use the reporting stuff in that to tell me how many
hours i've spent on what, then i handle billing separately.    It
takes me a total of about an hour a month to handle the routine
billing tasks.

I say all this not to brag, because i dont think its anything to brag
about,  but to make the point that it's not that hard to get exactly
the billing system that suits you rather than have to change your
business systems to suit some one else's idea of how your business
should run.  It's simple and does precisely what i want it to, and no
more.  And if my business model changes in any way i have the stuff to
change my billing system to match the new business model.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month