We've found that setting the min and max to the same size works best.
This prevents the issues caused by the JVM needing to auto scale in
size while under load.

We also set the min and max perm size to be the same as each other.
Also, how long have you set your gc intervals?

if you do not have settings that look like this:
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=600000
-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=600000

Then your using the JVM default of every minute.  This can lead to
problems as well.  The number above is set for 10 minutes (in
milliseconds).  You also need to take care your running the correct GC
for your server environment.  That can be complex, but typically use -
XX:+UseParallelGC for multi cpu/core environments.

This info is based on our HA environment of 2.5 to 3 million CF page
views per day.  And you don't want to see our DB server clusters loads
or our monthly bandwidth usage.

Wil Genovese

One man with courage makes a majority.
-Andrew Jackson

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.