Hi Nathan,

Yes, this bit:
>Or, are you just saying we throw the word around like candy at a parade and
>should stop before we hit someone in the eye?

Though this one is not just the CF community - plenty of people all round don't
really know what Singletons (and even design patterns in general) actually are.

People shouldn't use terms they don't understand!
(By which I don't mean that they need in-depth knowledge, but they should go
check an authoritative definition first, so they at least know what they're
actually saying.)

>What then should we call it?

A component instance in the application scope?

That would do, or global object(s) for something shorter.

Could even go with glob(s) I guess - although not sure on that one.

Heh. Turns out "glob" is already taken, as the verb for using filename
wildcards. :/

Oh, and for this bit:

>but in CF, don't you think that implementing the true
>singleton pattern is overkill and generally unnecessary?

Yep - and I wouldn't restrict to CF either; I've never found/thought of a place
where it's necessary to have only a single instance of an object. I suspect
there are some out there, but I can't come up with anything I don't then change
my mind on.

Also, beyond programming even, it's really irritating having apps that force a
single instance on you (*growls at firefox*) for no valid reason.