Looks like ajax file uploads are a tricky thing - the trick being tracking
the progress of the upload (which, while you don't want a status bar, is
vital for knowing when to start the next file).

Here's a good expo by the looks of things:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/166221/how-to-upload-file-jquery

The SWFUpload flash method is really very good and flexible - the only
visual element of flash is the 'Upload' button and the file picker dialog
(which is a default OS file picker that allows true filtering of file types
and multiple selection). The rest can be done with html and css.

Dominic