Judah:

It's likely that you misunderstood.  I started a CFUG in the East Bay,
California area less than a year ago.  I've not had Adobe attempt to
influence any sort of influence over the topics we cover, nor did they
attempt to mandate that the group be referred to as anything other than a
CFUG.

All they've done is send schwag :)