We are formalizing new development and testing environments for our ColdFusion
web sites and I would like to know what recommendations other
developers/administrators have regarding server configuration and/or best
practices.

We are currently running multiple ColdFusion 8 sites (~10) on IIS/Windows. Most
of our sites require SSL. We should probably be able to run both SSL and
non-SSL versions of the sites on the development environment. We have several
new 64-bit servers available for these updated environments.

(Additionally, we also develop and administer several Java sites; right now it
looks like they will most likely live on their own set of servers.)

In an ideal world, do you think we should put both Test and Development
environments on one box (using separate IPs such as site-dev.siteUrl and
site-test.siteUrl), or create multiple sites using VMware, or utilize two
entirely separate servers? And are there considerations for each of these
scenarios?

Thanks in advance for your insights...