On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Rick Faircloth
<r...@whitestonemedia.com> wrote:
> When a user visits www.xyz.com, onApplicationStart() runs a
> query that retrieves, among other variables, the absolute path
> to those images.  Realize, the application that I'm referencing
> is a "global site manager" (single codebase) for managing
> site content on multiple sites (each with a separate codebase,
> as these are custom sites). The end user sites are completely
> different.  I'm using the "global site manager", at this point,
> to simply provide a single app to supply CRUD functionality
> to the users for their site content. Even the databases for
> these sites have little in common. I just decided that instead
> of building CRUD functionality over-and-over for each site manager,
> I'd build "one site manager to rule them all." :o)

That doesn't really sounds like you're running multiple different
sites off one unified codebase - you're providing a library that is
intended to be reused across multiple, separate applications :)

> The userImages path gets set when the application is first run
> by onApplicationStart() and a query, qGetApplicationVariables, is run
> that retrieves info such as the userImages path, or, in this case,
> qGetApplicationVariables.userImagesPathAbsolute. Then, the query
> value for the userImages path is cfset to application.userImagesPathAbsolute
> for use throughout the site.

I have a site object containing all the site-specific settings. When a
request comes in, the domain in the URL is mapped to a site object,
and that is used throughout the request for any site-specific info.
Site objects are cached for efficiency, of course. This allows me to
clearly separate code / data that is common across all sites from that
which varies.

> If I have the same application name, wouldn't the userImages path
> variable be overwritten when another user visits another site using
> the same site manager codebase and onApplicationStart() is run again?

onApplicationStart() is run once for the entire system in my model. I
don't use bare application variables anywhere (because I use a
framework that has all the services injected as needed, or uses a bean
factory accessible within the framework).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwo