Even though my own CMS can handle multiple sites running off of a
single installation, I don't run it that way.  The points brought up
about clients wanting individual customizations and portability fit my
situation.  I understand if you are offering software-as-a-service
things change, but for me this turned out to be enough of a headache
that I reverted to separate installs and have never regretted it.  If
a customer wants an upgrade, they pay me an hour or two individually
to make that happen.  If they want a specific feature that I don't
want to fold into the overall codebase, I can do it - and earn the
money for doing it - without worrying about consequences on 40 other
web sites on the server.  But thats a business decision and not
coding.  Mentioned just as food for thought.

For sites for my own company, where presently we have about 36 up and
running and will be at around 60 when we are done, we *do* share a
single codebase.  There are no special mappings.  Each site has an
Application.cfm that looks like this:

request.appName="AR_060110_1033";
request.rootFolder="ARDotCom/";
request.FQDN="www.mysiteAR.com";

<cfinclude template="../common/Application_common.cfm">

The common file has some server vars too:

server.BaseRoot="C:/foo/bar/sites/";
server.dsn= etc. etc. blah blah

And thats enough - along with more code in the common
"Application.cfm" - to set up absolute and relative paths to the files
I have located in the common-use folder.  Every site has its own
independent application scope.

I've opted to set the app name manually so I can reset session and app
vars if need be... a rare occurrence but its nice to have the option
available.

The root of this web site is a root folder in a discrete IIS web site
and, since CF has no trouble recursing back up beyond a web root
insofar as physical paths go, the /common/ folder is not accessible
from the web, but it is from CF.  Very simple to set up.

--
--m@Robertson--
Janitor, The Robertson Team