I'm curious how this is handled in some cases. A single application
would have a smaller memory footprint on the server, but I've always
placed site specific variables in the application scope, keeping
sessions much smaller and reducing overall memory overhead. Yes,
reinitializing applications can be a  bear sometimes, but the savings in
memory overhead in high traffic apps is worth the hardship.

Steve 'Cutter' Blades
Adobe Certified Expert
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com

Co-Author "Learning Ext JS 3.2" Packt Publishing 2010
https://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js-3-2-for-building-dynamic-desktop-style-user-interfaces/book

"The best way to predict the future is to help create it"