All true...  now as far as "all your code was good"... I don't know
about that, but it gets the job done. :o)

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Michaels [mailto:r...@michaels.me.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:26 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Migrating a DB from MS SQL 2000 into MySQL latest release

Presumably all those databases were designed by you and all the code written
by you, so the lack of issues hopefully means all your code was good :-)

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Rick Faircloth
<r...@whitestonemedia.com>wrote:

> My experience has mostly been with relatively small databases running
> anywhere from 2 months to 8 years.  The most trafficked site I host
> serves about 50,000 pages views per month with almost all pages serving
> some database-driven dynamic content.
>
> I usually have about 25 databases running simultaneously on the same
> server with my sites.
>
> I don't have a lot of complex code (at least not to me) running on these
> servers accessing the database, so that cuts down on coding problems that
> might cause MySQL to spike the CPU.  I did have more issues with that a
> few years ago, and even once recently on the server, but the CPU spiking
> has always been related to coding or another piece of software trying to
> run cfexecute operations, etc.  I've never tracked an issue back to a
> problem with MySQL.
>
> And, I realize that every user's experience is going to be different, just
> as every car driver's accident experience is different with the same make
> and model, due mostly to the driver's use and driving capability.  Some
> folks just have a propensity for crashing. :o)
>
> I have no complaints with MySQL for my requirements.  It's been good to
me.
> I've always been a Windows Server user, fyi...
>
> Rick

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mysql+corrupted+tables&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq

=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a<http://www.google.co.uk/s
earch?q=mysql+corrupted+tables&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq%0A=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-
GB:official&client=firefox-a>

> You are correct that backups can be automated, they can even be automated
> with the FREE MySQLAdministrator that used to come free with mysql, but
for
> some bizarre reason Oracle removed this feature from the new workbench.
> However the problem is in the way that backups work, it is not really a
> backup, it is a DUMP from the database as one huge SQL script to drop
> tables, re-create tables and re-insert data.
> This causes some of the following issues on shared hosting particularly
>
> 1. many people only have access to PHPMyadmin, and the DUMP can often be
> very large even for a moderate sized databases, doing large dumps simply
> wont work most of the time with PHPMyadmin, whether your backing up or
> restoring, it just times out or cannot cope. Often the only solution is
> command line directly on the server.
> 2. if moving between versions importing the dump wont work sometimes and
it
> can be a PITA to figure out why, especially if it is a BIG database and
you
> have to keep re-exporting it.
>
> The CPU overload can of course be blamed on poor code, more usually bad
> SQL,
> but this problem exists on every platform in every language, but MSSQL
does
> seem to cope with bad queries much better.
>
> HTH
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Rick Faircloth
> <r...@whitestonemedia.com>wrote:
>

> > I've been using MySQL for over 10 years and never had any problems with
> it.
> > Get PremiumSoft's Navicat for your GUI and management is a breeze.
Never
> > had anything corrupted and MySQL only overloads the CPU when code is not
> > working correctly.
> >
> > Backups can easily be automated with Navicat, as well.
> >
> > I've had good experience with it and highly recommend it.
> >
> > Rick

FREE

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/migration-toolkit/en/mysql-migration-toolkit-indept