> > My guess is that the compiler takes lots of extra time and resources, so it
> > does all its work before getting into the execution process.
>
> May be, however it will also compile some files for nothing, ie: included
> files actually not included at execution... which represents an extra
> overhead.
> There is even a drawback that can even be condidered as a bug (don't know if
> it is still there in CF 9) : duplicate functions defined in two diferent
> includes although only one template is included at execution.

No optimization process is perfect. The alternative, though, would be
for the executing process to run your first program before compiling
the second, which sounds like it would be generally an inefficient
thing to do - the more times control has to be passed from one process
to another, the longer things generally take. And compilation
generally only happens once - the first time the file is requested.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.