> I've been charged with choosing versioning software for our team, and I'd
> like to recommend Subversion but there's a developer who wants a feature
> that I'm not sure Subversion (or other versioning tools) can accommodate:
> partial commits.  For example, you may be working on a project where
> you've touched a lot of code that is not ready for check-in, but then a high
> priority change comes across your desk that requires you to make an
> unrelated change to one of these files and check it in.  He wants to be able
> to pick and choose which lines of a changed file get checked in.  Is that
> possible with any versioning tool??

I don't think it is. All the tools I've seen treat files as atomic for
checkin purposes.

That said, this is why we have diff tools. Use the diff tool with your
local copy, build a new copy with the lines you want and check that
in. Beyond Compare is a great diff tool if you're on Windows.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or ons