On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Shannon Rhodes <shan...@rhodesedge.com> wrote:
> I've been charged with choosing versioning software for our team, and I'd
> like to recommend Subversion but there's a developer who wants a feature that
> I'm not sure Subversion (or other versioning tools) can accommodate:  partial
> commits.

As others have noted, Git supports this although, as Dave implied,
picking just a line or two to commit can be nigh on impossible if
you've already got changes in that area uncommitted.

However, Git offers a number of benefits over SVN for the sort of
workflow you're talking about. First off, you can simply stash
uncommitted changes, work on the emergency fix, commit & push that,
then unstash (pop) your changes and the emergency fix will be
auto-merged back in if possible (otherwise manually fix the merge and
drop the stash entry). Second, in Git, branches are very cheap so you
tend to use them for any non-trivial changes. You branch _locally_,
work on your big feature, switching back and forth between your local
branch and the stable branch if needed to fix issues (and then merging
them into your branch - again, a mostly automated task in Git), and
when your done on your feature, commit and merge it back to the stable
branch.

Git also allows offline commits (since the repo is local) which can be
very useful if team members travel a lot. It lets me work on trains
and airplanes easily. When I get to a wifi spot, I just pull updates
and push my commits.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."
-- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880