Well, malware like the program you describe can usually only harm you if a)
you aren't running an antivirus program, and b) you actually install the
malicious program. So first, you need to install some sort of antivirus
software (I use AVG). But even beyond that, unless you tell whoever is using
the computer not to just run random executable files, nothing is going to
stop this from happening again.

People bust on Windows because of it's sad record of past security (though
it is far better now) and the range of virus threats due to its dominant
market share. But the reality is that simply not installing unknown software
will prevent virtually all these problems, even without antivirus. I've had
Windows systems for 20 years and I have never had a virus. I've never even
had my antivirus program intercept a virus. Ever. It's really not
difficult.

So I don't say this to make you feel bad, but just to point out that with a
small amount of precaution the next time, you can make this an extremely
unlikely scenario.

Brian